Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Turn the other cheek? p2

For many years I have talked down about those who are gay. I have probably said some things that were very rude and have definitely said some things that were bigoted and untrue.
Yet every time I said these things I knew I was also talking about myself.
I believed that I deserved punishment. I believed that there was nobody to help me but myself.
Yet now I look back and I realise the error of my ways. I realise that I needed help that I never received. I should not have been treated the way I was.
So now I'm facing a situation where I am grappling with these same feelings. I feel that I need to defend myself and others from this. In particular I feel a strong desire to reach out to those individuals who feel this way about themselves. Yet I'm hindered at every turn.
I still feel inclined to turn the other cheek and just let it be, but I can't do it anymore.

At the start of this year I attended a fireside which Elder Oaks spoke at. I agreed with most of what he had to say. 
Then he started to talk about same gender attraction. I appreciated that he spoke of the reality of it. There are still many people in this world who think that it is a choice; that we choose to be attracted to the same sex!?
So some of what he said may have been good for helping people to understand that it is a real struggle to deal with.
However, he then went on to say that it was something that should not be discussed with anyone but your priesthood leaders.
This really frustrated me!
This was only a month or so after I declared that I am attracted to the same sex so I felt like he was telling me I had done the wrong thing
If I didn't do that I feel like I wouldn't be here now and here he was saying that it's the wrong thing to do. I felt like he was telling me it's better for me to risk suicide than come out.
I decided to let it sit for a while as I needed time to digest what he said before trying to confront it.
The reason I came out was that I felt I was living a lie. It is a part of who I am and I had to lie in order to keep it secret. It ate me up inside being so dishonest with those around me. I couldn't get close to anyone because I couldn't be truthful.
How many times did people ask me if I have a girlfriend? Or asked me which girls I liked, or any other number of questions that I had to be untruthful to answer.
It was so bad that I tried to kill myself. I thought it was better to die than to admit that I am gay.
After a few days recovering in hospital and a cover story later I was back to life as normal. The experience was enough to keep me from attempting to take my life again for some time.
But the time came again when I was so frustrated with the lies and secrets that I again wanted to die. Fortunately I had enough sense this time and each of the subsequent times to get the help I needed before I actually did anything stupid. 
But these suicidal feelings kept coming back. I realised I had to tell someone other than priesthood leaders the real reason why I was suicidal.
And that was when my life changed. That was when I suddenly saw hope. 
From that point I started to receive the help I actually needed.
I don't wish to offend anyone, but most priesthood leaders don't have a clue what to do when it comes to dealing with same sex attraction and telling SSA/Gay members that we should only speak to our priesthood leaders about it is dangerous.
I can't stress that enough.
It is dangerous for someone who is suicidal to only seek help from a leader who is untrained in how to deal with it and if anyone who reads this is dealing with suicidal feelings I strongly urge you to seek professional help.
I've talked with many SSA/gay Mormons (and non Mormons) and suicide is a very real issue in many of their lives. We've come a long way to making things better, but the past has not been undone.
For a time I tried to get in contact with Elder Oaks as I wanted to let him know what my feelings on the matter were. But I came up against closed doors. Eventually I gave up and I've had conflicting feelings about it since.
Then after general conference last month I started to feel very frustrated with the lack of support from church leaders.
There is so much talk of homosexuality in the church and such a small amount of that is to actually help and support those who experience it.
The church created a website, mormonsandgays.org last year which talks about how we as members of the church should love those who identify as gay or SSA. Yet the website is rarely publicised and the way Elder Oaks and others talk about same sex marriage in conference and omit any discussion of the struggles faced by those who are gay/SSA leaves a lot to be asked for.
So many of us need love and respect and all we hear is that same sex marriage is contrary to God's laws. Where is the love? Are we expected to just keep turning the other cheek?
It's not that I want to whine about it. I just don't know how else to defend myself and affect change. 
I'm trying to stand against those things which are not right in a way that is respectful, but when I'm told that things are ok the way they are I get frustrated. I want to see a change. I don't want to see others endure misguided advice.

9 comments:

  1. I really appreciate everything that you said here and quite frankly it resonates with my experience as a gay Mormon as well. I appreciate your frankness and honesty. thank you for standing up in an effort to create positive change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I agree with you 100%. I actually firmly believe Elder Oaks to be wrong in this subject. Don't get me wrong - he is an inspired man, but he is just a man. His preconceived notions taught him these things - NOT the spirit. I have seen so many positive things happen from the time I "came out," and I truly know that it has helped people for the better. Hopefully things will change in the church with regards to treatment of LGBT members...hopefully.

    Thanks for your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mentioned Elder Oaks talk, at no time did he discourage anyone from seeking professional help. Also I believe his point was that the most important thing about you is that you are a Son or Daughter of God and not that you are gay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True he never explicitly discouraged seeking professional help, but he didn't explicitly encourage it either. What he said was that it was something that should be dealt with in consultation with your priesthood leaders.
      But as I said, I agreed with most of what he said at that fireside. I just recognised that his comments were potentially dangerous. It reflected the lack of understanding that is common to many leaders.

      Delete
  4. Why not be free and fully human and ditch your membership of this superstitious mind cult completely? Why cling to a raft of lies just because it's familiar?
    You could waste your entire life (many have) trying to reconcile the reality of your sexuality with an unchangeable book that condemns you (yours in particular written by a convicted fraudster should make it easier to de-program), or you could free yourself.
    A quick dose of Sam Harris on Youtube (or Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins etc) will help you embrace reality much more than a work of `mystical' fiction. There are plenty of support groups out there for those leaving the church... reality is waaaay better!

    In an age of information, ignorance really is a choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it's not that simple.

      Delete
    2. Still recommend looking up those guys and watching some stuff on youtube... I know what cognitive dissonance feels like, and its made worse by people giving you conditional 'love' to keep the lie going. Religion is over, and you can be genuinely free, if you want it.

      Delete
  5. I don't want to put a comment on here to start any kind of negative discussion about church leaders, their teachings and the doctrine of the church. I do however realise that what I say is my opinion and people are entitled to voice their own in response. With this I show my respect to others opinions and ask that I receive the same treatment with my opinions. I wish to reply to voice my views of what I feel it was that Elder Oaks was trying to emphasise that may give some clarification and peace on the matter.

    Elder Oaks was teaching at the time about our identity as sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father. He mentioned that it is limiting and at times damaging to 'label' ourselves as anything but our true identity. When Elder Oaks suggested that it was perhaps more appropriate to talk to priesthood leaders about same sex attraction instead of publicly declaring it I don't feel he intended to limit who they could share this sensitive information with. I feel that the reason he encouraged this was to avoid the labeling that so often comes with our public/online identity.

    It was interesting actually remembering my feelings when Elder Oaks mentioned that, having you and your facebook post in mind at the time. I remember feeling for you and the attention this must bring for you. I also remember thinking that the reasons why you had posted on facebook were quite noble and brave. The way in which you communicated your feelings made it quite clear that you hadn't labelled yourself as gay and everything that comes with it. I feel you did a good job in distinguishing the label of gay from your feelings of same sex attraction. Because of this I felt that what Elder Oaks was trying to teach people was quite different from what you had done by publicly allowing people to know the truth and subsequently help yourself and allow others to help. There is a vast difference between publicly acknowledging that you experience same sex attraction; asking for awareness and help as you continue to stand for what you know is right and publicly labelling yourself as gay and from then on associating youself with that party. It’s the latter that Elder Oaks was discouraging, due to the damage that can come from the influence of proximity with such an association (I hope that makes sense, there are quite a few big words in that sentence and even though I wrote it my brain is having trouble computing :P). His mention of talking to priesthood leaders over publicly announcing this attraction in my mind was an example of how to avoid the trap of self-labelling that can present itself when being open on the internet with a sensitive subject. Like I said, your facebook post where you admitted your same sex attraction was done quite tactfully and in the right spirit.

    I hope and pray that as you continue to ponder over what Elder Oaks taught that you can seek the truth from the Spirit in relation to what He was saying. I’m not saying that everything Elder Oaks said was true and at the same time I’m not suggesting that any of it was false. I just know that I felt the Spirit testify to me that what he taught is true and that therefore leaves no doubt in my mind. But that’s my testimony and therefore it is my responsibility to accept ownership of it at the last day when I stand before God and account for my works.

    As a bit of a side note, I believe you’re probably right in saying that most priesthood leaders don’t have a clue when it comes to helping same sex attracted people. If you ask them, they would all likely admit to the same thing. That is why they are encouraged and instructed to offer the church’s family services so that professional counsel can be given as a part of their overall counsel.

    Matt, I want you to know that I care about you a lot. You are on my mind often. I want you to be happy and I know that full happiness can be found in the gospel of Jesus Christ. With love and respect your friend round the corner, Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is refreshing to finally find something online that shares personal experiences. I have also served a mission but felt like i was in the wrong for having these feelings. The only problem is now that i have come out whilst i have the support of my family everyone else had shunned me. What can i do to feel like i have support out thee?
    David

    ReplyDelete